Monday, June 11, 2012

Batman + Robosaur

June 4, 2012
The Art Of Overthinking
by Jules Kushner

I have a degree in Overthinking. It’s from the College in My Head, which I know for a fact is not accredited, and yet I continue to be a student there. Over the years, this not-fine art of overthinking has probably been the most difficult habit for me to break. I’d say it’s definitely been the most difficult habit for me to break, but then I’d reassess saying ‘definitely’ and probably switch it back to ‘probably.’ Is it easy being me? No. Do I have it way easier than many and create my own stress? Yes! Do I win something for that? A trophy where someone is just gently patting someone else on the back? Probably not.
Here are some examples of how it goes for me: I regularly make decisions about what other people were thinking when they said or didn’t say something to me, only to later find out that they don’t even recall saying the original thing to me in the first place. That’s how much weight the moment had for them. None. Even though I’ve spent hours deconstructing these moments. There have been occasions when I’ve decided that people don’t like me and why they don’t like me during the same period of time that I was their favorite person. Here’s another. Often, when someone says that they have to talk to me, my initial instinct is that they’re either going to break up with me or fire me. That’s right around when I try to remind myself, I’m neither dating or working for them. My head works way harder than a rocket scientist’s, without the super smart about rocket science part.



Today's Photo:

That's Batman riding Rexy.
Rexy is a robot, and can prowl, growl and sniff nearby kids.
If I understood advanced robotics as a 8-year-old, this is what I would have built.

No comments:

Post a Comment