Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Games on Father's Day

June 17, 2012

 
Prometheus Review by Jim Emerson
Exhaustive recap/review of the entire Alien franchise.

Red Letter Media Talks About Prometheus
Major Spoilers!
I walked out of the theater feeling the same way.


by Tim Grierson on Deadspin
My wife and I love kids—we just don't want to have any of our own. That shouldn't be a big deal, but sometimes other people sure act like it is. There have been a few too many instances when my wife and I have been around other folks' babies and the inevitable question comes up: "When are you two going to have a baby?" We mention that we weren't planning on having kids and you can just see this ... look come over their face. To my knowledge, I've never responded to that question with: "Are you kidding? I hate kids. I hate humanity. In fact, I hate your child most of all." But from the look I get in return, I guess I might as well have. Choosing to be childless is not an easy decision, especially when you're surrounded by friends and family who have such adorable kids, but I find that our decision is sometimes met with disbelief and confusion. It's like not being on Facebook or owning a smartphone: You're supposed to want to have kids. What the hell's wrong with me?
This wasn't the main reason why I utterly despised What to Expect When You're Expecting, but it's probably in the top three. Sure, it's just a silly, stupid Hollywood chick-flick, but the movie's attitude is so repugnant that it deserves its own special warning: This movie may cause you to seek an immediate vasectomy.
(article from Withahope.org)Something that frequently frustrates me is the way poverty is often described purely in terms of money (or lack thereof) so when I saw the new computer game by Live 58 called ‘Survival 125′ and read the headline ‘Can you Survive on $1.25?’ I did initially worry a little. Very quickly I realised that the game actually explores the real crux of poverty, which to me is the lack of choice poverty results in. For example; do you pay for your child to get a measles vaccination knowing it means you will go hungry for the rest of the week? These dillemas are the real picture when it comes to poverty as they are the kind of choices that come as a result of not having enough money. So I settled down to have a go at playing the game taking on the role of Divya Patel, a mum living in India and living on a brickmaker’s wage.

Super Street Fighter IV - Ultimate Combos
My brother and I played this for hours.


Today's Photos:
Other video games currenly in heavy rotation:
Portal 2
NBA 2K11
Starting Five: Barea, James, Ibaka, Love, Gasol

No comments:

Post a Comment