Thursday, May 9, 2013

Batfamily and Psychic Food Detectives

May 4, 2013
 
 
"Oh, it’s not just dancing.”
“It’s not?”
“No. It’s more like,” he closed his eyes and swayed as he searched for the right words, “being a conduit of the music.” He demonstrated his conduit-ness (conduitivity?) by flicking his hands together in a semi-rhythmic circle. “See what I’m doing?”
 
I did see. So did everyone else in the restaurant turning their heads to watch the creepy close-looker girl with the 42-year-old raver.
“I’m creating a ball of light with my energy.”
I decided to try, try with all my might, to bring this conversation back to the same planet I inhabited. “Oh yeah, I’ve tried tai chi, where they teach you to channel that energy.”
“No! No, it’s way deeper than that.”
Excuse me, dude? You’re discounting my experience of an ancient culture because raves have been so meaningful in your life? I think my hand twitched because it tried to slap him, independent of my rational mind and its pesky awareness of social mores and jail time for aggravated assault (very aggravated).
Iron Man 3: The 4DX experience
Chairs that shake you and squirt water in your face during the movie.
Yes. It's in Japan.

Moby Dick Card Game
Settlers of Catan Meets Magic: The Gathering Meets The Most Depressing Book About Whaling.

Sounders Red Card Bonanza
The Red Cards start flowing around 6:15

Today's Photo:
Free Comic Book Day!

I really like comic books.
But I don't want to be a "Comic Book Guy".
But I did have a moment, when I was reading "Batgirl" (which is really great), where Barbara Gordon is having flashbacks to when Joker shot her in the spine. And it's almost the same panel from "The Killing Joke". But it seemed like the positions were reversed. So I cross referenced the two comics and they had completely flipped around the image.

Worst.
Crossover Reference.
Ever.

I'm definitely very concerned about being "that guy".
That seems to come up all the time.
We don't really see our patterns until they're all laid out for us.
I'm not a "Comic Book Guy" just because I like comics.
Comics are fun and they make me happy and I want to share things that make me happy.
(And by the way, Batgirl is really good.)

My old "Calvin and Hobbes" paperbacks are in my classroom.
They make me happy.
 I just realized eight different kids are reading them right now.
That's really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment