Saturday, May 25, 2013

Late Rainout

May 23, 2013

Sam Farha (second-place finisher): I didn't play the main event a lot, especially before 2003. The only way I play it is if there's no other cash game going on. In 2003, I was at Binion's. There was no big cash game, so I decided to play the main event at the last minute.
Greenstein: Sammy and I were together at the end of Day 2, and I had a straight draw and I semibluffed all-in with one card to go against Sammy. He called and I hit my straight on the river. Sammy got up from the table and started leaving. I said, "Sammy, you have me covered."12 And he said, "What's the difference? It's close." I said, "I think you have 5,000 left." He said, "Well, what can I do with 5,000?" I said, "Come on, you can't just quit." So he sits down and he goes all-in dark13 for his last 5,000. And somebody calls him, and he doubles up. And the very next hand, he goes all-in dark again. And someone calls him, and he doubles up to 20,000. There were seven hands left in the night, and he proceeds to play all seven.
Farha: I went from 5,400 to 54,000 in the span of just a few hands.
Greenstein: If I hadn't said anything to him after the big pot we played, he'd have just left the room.



Let’s face it: we all judge each other’s relationships (even if and when our own are far from perfect). But is it ever appropriate to share our opinions? Conventional wisdom says no, and I’m generally inclined to agree. It only takes losing one friend after commenting that I didn’t think her boyfriend was good for her to realize that I’d rather keep my mouth shut and keep my friendship, even if I do think the guy she’s dating is a complete idiot. One of my most regrettable decisions was sending a scathing email to a friend after learning from Facebook that she’d gone on vacation with her on again, off again ex. I gave her my opinion of the guy in no uncertain terms, and felt like a complete jerk two weeks later when I realized it was no ordinary vacation; they’d actually eloped. They are now happily married with a beautiful baby daughter, and I am amazed and so thankful that this girl still talks to me after what I said. The experience taught me many lessons, chiefly among them: we really don’t know other people’s relationship situations, and as such, it’s usually best not to comment on them.
It’s a hard urge to resist, though. So before you go speaking your opinion, here are some things to consider:



Rainouts in tennis are tricky.
We have to make a decision to cancel our bus by 9:30am if we don't want to get charged for the trip.
The weather might change over the course of the day, making your morning decision look stupid by the afternoon.

That's what happened today. 
We got all dressed up, drove over to the other school, and played tennis for a entire half hour until the courts were soaked and we had to stop. 
So, our tennis match today was mostly girls practicing their dance moves in a foyer.


The picture above is a callback to a different picture taken with different kids last weekend.
These two pictures are displayed in two different classrooms.
My goal is to have similar pictures in every classroom by the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment