Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Everyone Needs Goggles

November 15, 2011
#babiesarepartofeveryone
#safescienceisfunscience
Linkage:
from Hello, Giggles
by Anna Goldfarb
I’m 6’1″, which is tall for a girl. In case I wasn’t aware of that fact, I have an endless supply of strangers who are happy to remind me about it on a daily basis by asking me the same inane questions repeatedly. Here they are, in order from mildly grating to downright bizarre.
How tall are you?
Although the question itself may seem innocuous, this one comes down to tone. For the most part, people don’t ask how tall I am with a friendly smile, like how the cute guy at Trader Joe’s asks me if I found everything I needed while I was shopping. No, people ask me how tall I am with an attitude, like, “How tall are you?” What do they think I’m gonna say? “I’m 27 feet and 35 inches, Ma’am.” Are they that bad at estimating? I’m 6’1″. It’s not that crazy.
I have this experience with my smell-blindness.
#canyoutasteanything?

No comments:

Post a Comment