Monday, November 21, 2011

Hello Giggles Editor

November 16, 2011

A fun morning surprise!!
#adultscanhavecupcakesforbreakfast

Linkage:
My friend (Lauren) wrote a profile of another friend (Ateqah) for Hello, Giggles.  Since I proofread some of Lauren's essays in high school, that makes me an editor for Hello, Giggles!  The article is a great piece about Ateqah's blogging endeavors:  
Flashing forward ten years to a post-9/11 New York City, Ateqah, who works in the social justice field, was witnessing yet another “wave of bigotry and xenophobia” toward Muslims. For Ateqah and her best friend Lindsay Arbuckle, this culminated in a news story about Muslim travelers detained at the Canadian border. Both women were outraged, but not surprised, by this fresh slap of racism. “Do you think we should start a website called, ‘My Best Friend is Muslim’? Just pictures of you and your best friend who is a Muslim?” Lindsay asked. “I thought it was a brilliant idea, and a minute and a half later, I had created a Tumblr page for the project,” Ateqah recalls.
Today, MyBestFriendIsMuslim.com is full of smiling snapshots and real stories of true friends, all assuaging the rising tide of Islamophobia in America. It is a tender, but forceful shout of frustration, of hope, of heart. It’s just another example of Ateqah’s ability to create a positive, welcoming place in what can be a dreary, hurtful world.

She is currently working on "A Day In My Shoes" on her facebook page.  And yes, all her blogging adventures make me feel like I'm being totally frivolous on this blog.

Sweet! Now I just need to watch all of season one before Thanksgiving Sunday

No wonder I never liked warheads.  
I mean, who wants skirmishes going on in their cranium?

No comments:

Post a Comment