Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Notes To Brighten My Day

August, 28, 2012

Tumblr dedicated to people who create.

A Good Person's Guide To Handling Your Best Friend's Unemployment

We all know someone whose been affected by unemployment – and even if we don’t know someone directly who’s been laid off, we’ve all heard horror stories and news blips about the sad state of the economy. I had to become tight with the gals at the unemployment office in 2009 – and I know that all job opportunities in the future don’t come with a guarantee. There’s a good chance you’re reading this because you, yourself, are out of a job.
So why did I cater this towards your “best friend”? Well – it’s how I wish I was handled during that miserable time. Obviously I couldn’t announce to my family and friends how I should have been treated, especially after knowing that every attempt to address the situation was out of love. (And anyway, how awkward would that have been? I’m just not that upfront of a person, especially in times of extreme emotional instability!)

Best Animated DC Films
I tell myself I only like Batman... and the Justice League (especially that New Frontier movie at #3).  And since Justice League is cool, I guess Flash and Green Lantern and kind of neat.  Plus Wonder Woman is all right.

For some unknown reason I begrudgingly like most of these characters.

Sleigh Bells - End of the Line

How Long Do You Want To Live?

Over the past three years I have posed this query to nearly 30,000 people at the start of talks and lectures on future trends in bioscience, taking an informal poll as a show of hands. To make it easier to tabulate responses I provided four possible answers: 80 years, currently the average life span in the West; 120 years, close to the maximum anyone has lived; 150 years, which would require a biotech breakthrough; and forever, which rejects the idea that life span has to have any limit at all.
I made it clear that participants should not assume that science will come up with dramatic new anti-aging technologies, though people were free to imagine that breakthroughs might occur — or not.
The results: some 60 percent opted for a life span of 80 years. Another 30 percent chose 120 years, and almost 10 percent chose 150 years. Less than 1 percent embraced the idea that people might avoid death altogether.

Today's Photo:

Kids are so sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment