Monday, February 6, 2012

Last Minute Thing

February 4, 2012

"Her friend planned a thing, so I thought, I might as well try and do something."
-Danny
Photo from above link (K1 Speed)
We just wanted a quick zip around the track.  We were not willing to wait 1 hour 40 minutes to get it.  
Plan B:

Mario Kart
After years of Mario Kart, real go-karting would have been a let down.  There would be no turtle shells, no banana peels and no cloud turtle to fish you out of the water if you fell off the track.  

While eating dinner at Piecora's, we had a brilliant idea: Bring Japanese Capsule Hotels to Seattle.  This had something to do with a scientific argument against caffeine waking you up, but only preventing you from getting more sleepy.  
picture from here

Wouldn't this be awesome?  You could work all day, go out to dinner, then take a nap during the early part of the night, and wake up when things were really getting cooking.  We even came up with a great name: Nappod

I was so excited about this idea until we found one glitch. 
You can just sleep in your car.
That totally works too.
And it's free.
And it totally refreshes you.
Because I felt great the rest of the night.


  I deserved a nap.
I rocked 6 miles this morning.
Boom!     
(I don't think that's a humblebrag.
I'm just proud of myself.
Just be happy for me?
Try Mudita, not Schadenfreude.)


Linkage:
Secret Life of An American Medical Student

by Jessi Gold on Hello Giggles
“What are your hobbies?” asked a medical student interviewer at one of the top 10 medical schools in the country (according to US News and World Reports Research Rankings).
“Television,” I responded, as it was the first thing that came to my mind and one of the things I most enjoyed spending my “free” time doing.
With that response, it was as if all my hard work went out the window. It didn’t matter what community service or research I did or that I graduated Phi Beta Kappa from an Ivy League University. The interviewer’s face went blank. You would have thought I just told her that I sold myself for money to pay for school, or that I did not believe in the need for health care reform (the hot issue when I was interviewing that I was asked my opinion on at every school). I could feel her judgmental eyes saying “Television? Is this girl serious? And, she really wants to be a doctor?”
My heart started racing and I quickly tried to backtrack. “Well, I guess you can’t really call that a hobby, ha ha ha (awkward uncomfortable laughter, all while waiting for her frown to become a smile), I also…read!” Obviously, that’s the logical smart person hobby.
While I wasn’t accepted at that school (I’d like to think it was not because of my response, although I’ll never know for sure), this experience and my first year and a half of medical school really got me thinking: What is so bad with being a doctor who likes television?


by Drew Magary on GQ

No comments:

Post a Comment