Saturday, February 26, 2011

Foursquare: Where The Digital World Meets The Real World

Day 141 - February 24, 2011



This is my Foursquare To-Do List.  It's a map of all the places that I want to go in the city.  In LA, it was very easy for me to justify wanting to visit a particular restaurant or tourist attraction because I was on vacation.  But at home in Seattle, without the vacation excuse, it's difficult to say to myself, "I've always wanted to do karaoke at the Mandarin Gate, and it's Tuesday, who wants to duet on "Time of My Life?"

Foursquare provides extra motivation for me to do all the things that I want to do anyway.  Some places, I only want to visit to get a badge (like the Seattle Aquarium for the NASA badge.  Don't ask what NASA has to do with the fish!).  It will also stretch me, literally, because I want the "Downward Facing Dog" badge which requires me to check in 8x at a yoga studio.  I've also put some locations on the back burner.  The Olympic Sculpture Park sounds like fun though I don't want to visit during a blizzard.  But now it gets a convenient icon on my map, and will one day be checked off.

The Foursquare To-Do list changes my mindset about these outings.  Rather than each activity being an indulgence, they turn into little quests.  The reward being more adventure and fun pictures.

And badges.  I F#%@ing love badges.


And just to feel like I did something non-digital today, these soccer scarves were finally displayed as the border in the living room.  But I when I finished, I did not get a badge.  Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I need more info on this foursquare thing. Oh, and feel free to drag Connor and I just about anywhere. Well, maybe nor a bar...

    ReplyDelete