Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 177 - Vacation!

March 31, 2011
I did not plan to take any trips or do anything crazy over Spring Break.  I knew I would be finishing NB's and because I ended up working 12 hour days this week, I was exhausted.  Now that I've finished, I don't know what to do with all this extra time.  
I don't want to leave the couch.  Here's the rundown:
1) I read this account of why Billy Joel licensed his songs to Rock Band.  

Here's his account from USA Today:  "I've never allowed my music to be used in a game before," but an Entertainment Weekly review of NBC's The Office changed his mind. Alluding to an episode in which characters mention a Rock Band featuring Billy Joel, "the critic wrote something like, 'God forbid that ever should happen.' So I called my people and said, 'Get me (on) that Rock Band game.' Then I wrote the critic, saying that every time I get a check, I'll give him a little nod."
The EW critic takes it all in stride and admits that Billy Joel is awesome.
Billy also released six new songs in Rock Band last week.  Score!
2) A few weeks ago, Community revealed the ending of Catfish as a joke, but I managed to cover my ears in time to avoid spoilage.  I had been meaning to see this movie anyway so I used Redbox for the first time.  Redbox is awesome.  The trailers made Catfish look like a thriller.  But it wasn't.  It wasn't great.  It wasn't bad.  This story could have been just as effective if it were a segment on This American Life.  


3)  I finally started The Wire - Season 4.  Why did I wait so long?  This show is so good.  I love that for their theme song, they use the same song performed by a different artist for each season.  My favorite is still the Blind Boys of Alabama from the first season.


4) Caught up on Justified.  I missed season one but I've been toying with reading the book.  The main character, Raylan Givens, is from an Elmore Leonard short story called "Fire in the Hole".
5)  Then I fell back asleep, having completed nothing productive.  Wait, scratch that.  I did some laundry today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment