Sunday, September 25, 2011

Day 342 - Copy Machine Revelations

September 14, 2011

Today, at the copy machine, I had an enlightening conversations with someone smarter than me.  We were talking about how much time our work actually required.  She said it didn't matter.  At a certain point, you have to leave.  There's always going to be something left unfinished, or some lesson that could be made better.  But kids know we work hard, and the day to day operations in our classes probably won't sway anyone's ability to get into Harvard.  Plus, you're no good to anyone if you stay and wallow in work and are cranky the next day.  I found this difficult to digest because I don't have kids or pets.  So I don't feel like there's any pressing reason I have to leave at night.  If anyone can absorb long hours at work, it's probably someone like me.  

She said that was putting the cart before the horse.  You can't have a good reason to go home if you spend all your time working.  You have to set the limit first, and then stick to it.

I'm trying to heed this advice.  For some reason, it's really stressful to not work.  I find myself thinking about all the things that have been left undone.  "Panic Attack" is probably too strong a phrase, but I've definitely had some "Micro Panic Skirmishes".  But the more time I spend outside of work, the better chance that I find great reasons to leave work on time.  So, for now, the reasons to leave can be dumb and I'm confident they will get better with time.

Today's reason to leave?  
The Bed Intruder Song was added to Rock Band
Yes, you see five stars next to that song.
Because I rock like that.


Linkage:
Bed Intruder Song
(Just in case)

No comments:

Post a Comment