Friday, January 20, 2012

Ambiturner

January 15, 2012

I'm not an ambiturner
Turning right is very difficult for me.
Yes, that's a blue square on the chairlift.

While I was shredding, I thought I would burn through some podcasts.  On the drive up, a "This American Life" episode about Foxconn was playing.  Worth a listen.

Linkage:
Daily Show on FoxConn


Mr. Daisey and the Apple Factory
Mike Daisey was a self-described "worshipper in the cult of Mac." Then he saw some photos from a new iPhone, taken by workers at the factory where it was made. Mike wondered: Who makes all my crap? He traveled to China to find out.


Mike Daisey Writes About His Episode of This American Life

Mike Daisey writes:

I’ve loved This American Life for years, so when Ira saw my monologue The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs and over lunch asked me if I'd be willing to work with him to adapt it for the program, I felt that I couldn't say no. He had been so good at having lunch, made such great recommendations about what to eat from the menu, and in his initial email he had even begun by writing, "I'm Ira Glass. I host the public radio show This American Life" as though he needed an introduction, which is both humble and charming.
But it was far from easy.
The stage monologue of Agony/Ecstasy is two hours long, so first we had to decide what path to take through the material. Fairly quickly we narrowed in on the China storyline—in the stage monologue the story of my journey to China is intercut with the story of Steve Jobs' rise and fall and rise at Apple, and how transformations in how we view the world make change possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment