Sunday, January 1, 2012

L.A. Play Time

December 27, 2011
Adam and Lauren visited from L.A. 
They're adorable.
Lauren once told me a story about how, as a child, she invited a friend over to "play".  The friend harshly rebuked, "Cool people don't 'play', they hang out."
 I always thought this was a sad statement about growing up.
Cool people can still play.

This game is super fun.
It's completely cooperative and colaborative. 
 Either everyone wins or everyone loses.

Tintin
Visually, the movie is very impressive.
My brother refuses to see it because of the "Polar Express" animation.
It was fun, and there was a great chase sequence.
The Captain drinks constantly.
He's powered by booze the way Marshawn Lynch is powered by Skittles.
So, I'm not sure who the target audience is for this movie.

Linkage:
Tintin’s principal partner in his adventures is one Captain Haddock, a sea salt whose most prominent personality trait is his utter dependence on alcohol. This is how Belgian cartoonist Hergé wrote the character, and Spielberg remains faithful to that depiction. Haddock not only craves alcohol of any and all kinds—at one point in the movie he drinks the medicinal stuff, since it’s the only sort available—he seemingly needs it to function.

The computer game is exactly the opposite of the board game pictured above.  In the board game, you try to save the world, while in the computer game, you are the virus trying to destroy the world.
Still fun though.

A friend's wife started this blog:
Hi! I’m Jessie and I’m a professional food photographer living in the Chicago Suburbs. You can view my professional portfolio here: http://jessiekaufman.com
The Goal: I want to inspire you to make healthy, mostly meatless food with healthy ingredients. As a life choice, I make it a point to not buy anything that comes in a box, unless it's chocolate, butter (I only use real butter), organic broth, or cereal. I feel these days, when we're living in a world of convenience there are so many incentives to just pick something up that's premade and cook it. Cooking good, meatless food doesn't have to be intimidating or bland. Some of it isn't even that healthy. Wait until I share my tostada recipe with you! My hope for you is for you to pick one recipe and incorporate it into your weekly dinner routine and see how you feel. If you like it, try a full day of going meatless. It really can be and is delicious.


(Thanks for sharing the link Lauren)
Gender is not a subject that I would have broached in primary grades a few years ago. In fact, I remember scoffing with colleagues when we heard about a young kindergarten teacher who taught gender-related curriculum. We thought her lessons were a waste of instructional time and laughed at her “girl and boy” lessons.
My own thoughts about gender curriculum shifted when I became a mother. As I shopped for infant clothes for my first daughter, I was disgusted that almost everything was pink and there was no mistaking the boys’ section of the store from the girls’. I refused to make my baby daughter fit in the box that society had created for her. “What if she doesn’t like pink?” I thought. “What if she likes tigers and dinosaurs?”
As my two daughters grew, I talked with them about gender stereotypes. I let them choose “boys’” clothes if they wanted to (and often encouraged them because they are more practical). The first week of kindergarten, my younger daughter’s teacher told me that she had a heated argument with a boy while they played dress up. “She insisted that boys can wear dresses if they want to,” the teacher told me. I beamed with pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment