Thursday, May 12, 2011

Day 218 - Free Time = New Learning

May 11, 2011
The letter below was in my email this morning. 
I have fans in Ohio!!
I don't even remember making Mug Wump voices in this video.

In celebration of my recent National Stardom, I took Drew Magary's advice and did nothing this afternoon. 
Here's what I found while I was not seizing the day:

1)  Blue Moon Rising
In honor of the Sounders impending clash with rival Portland this weekend, I recommend "Blue Moon Rising" the story of a year in the life of a Manchester City supporter.  Their futility is well documented, as is their struggle to rise to prominance.  The film shows the heart of a community as well as team and shines a light on how central a team can be to friends and families.

2) Exteme Couponing
On the other end of the spectrum, Extreme Couponing put my jaw on the floor.  This world is fascinating.  They get hundreds of dollars worth of groceries for only a few bucks.  One lady walked out of the store with four shopping carts she got for free! 
For a split second I imagined that I could become an elite extreme couponer.  Then they said that it takes 35 hours a week clipping coupons and you need a ton of storage space to hold your "stockpile"
Pass.

3) Neil Degrasse Tyson
Neil DeGrasse Tyson is speaking at UW on May 12. It's free, but it seems like all the tickets are gone. But they are streaming his talk on the UW site. The link to the stream will be active at 6:30pm on May 12.

The topic:

Adventures of an Astrophysicist

Join Dr. Tyson for an illustrated talk as he reflects on highlights from his scientific career that include being blamed by adults and school children alike for demoting Pluto. Tyson will also share illuminating anecdotes from his time as space policy advisor to NASA, to the Bush White House, and to school systems. Tyson will further reflect on the Obama space plan, Mars Rovers, the search for life, Dark Matter, Dark Energy, the Large Hadron Collider and progress on a theory of everything.

Here is a discussion on how to deflect an asteroid:

No comments:

Post a Comment