Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 224 - Let Them Play!! Let Them Play!!

May 17, 2011
It was a beautiful day outside.  Perfect for any outdoor activity.  Our tennis match was wonderful.  But our baseball team had their game cancelled today.  I guess they couldn't play on the baseball field so they tried to play on the 45-foot softball field instead.  Despite protests to "LET THEM PLAY!!", The ump said "No way!" and the game was cancelled. The baseball team took the bus we were supposed to share and left early, leaving us to wait... and wait... and wait...
At least it was nice weather.
(Contented Sigh)
The delay gave me a chance to crank out my book, "Swim the Fly" by Don Calame.
  I heard about through an article in the Kansas City Star (via TBTL)that cited this book as one that inspires a love of reading in boys.  It probably has something to do with the opening lines:

"Movies don't count," Cooper says.  "The Internet doesn't count.  Magazines don't count. A real, live naked girl.  That's the deal.  That's our goal for this summer."

It's a great book.  There are some swears and some naughty bits, (the plot revolves around seeing naked girls... kind of) but it adds to the authenticity.  
The boys in the book seem like real teenage boys.  
Equal parts likable and revolting.

(In case you're wondering, the title comes from the main character's decision to swim the butterfly for his swim team, even though he can't do it yet.  He's trying to impress a girl.  
Like I said, real teenage boys.)

1 comment:

  1. Eric,
    I can't believe that I missed the one match that we played against you guys. Sorry I missed it! Also, I am looking forward to reading that same book. It is on my list! :-)
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete