Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 293 - We're Lucky Just To Play The Games

July 27, 2011
It's very easy to get caught up in winning and losing.  My PE teacher used to have a saying "A billion Chinese people don't even know you're playing."  I've always loved that expression but don't use it often, because I'm afraid it's subtly racist.  But it's a great idea.  Does anyone really care about how the Swingers Summer 2011 Shoreline Softball League season?  I'm sure the reader of this blog is sick of hearing about softball.  (Not a typo.  There might really be one reader.)

It's not really about softball.  We get to play outside in the sun.  And we know that every Wednesday, our adult friends are going to clear their schedule of all their other adult responsibilities.  And come outside and play.  
We could be playing tag, kick the can, or Calvinball.  The game doesn't matter.  We get to play in the sun in a big, beautiful park in the middle of a big, beautiful city.

The fact that we suck at softball?

In other news, I watched "Never Let Me Go" today.  I loved the book, and I understand it would be a difficult movie to make.  But they changed so much.  It's barely the same story.  The movie gets the tone right and the actors are great, but I feel like it both misses the point and shoves the morals in your face.  The cliche is totally true; the book is so much better.


Linkage:


From Quickish
(Spoiler.  Don't watch this if you haven't seen the ENTIRE series)
Coach Taylor always falls back on a few key phrases.
Man, this gets me pumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment