Sunday, August 28, 2011

Day 313 - Kindle: You're Doing It Wrong!

August 16, 2011
I really enjoy my kindle.  It's lightweight, easy to read, and kindle editions are typically cheaper than hardcover for new releases. 

So, why is all this paper building up on my bookshelf?

It won a Pulitzer Prize.  I want credit for reading something classy.  How will you know how sophisticated I am unless I have the physical book?

Sherman is a "friendo" of TBTL, so I had to support the book.  It was also one of the centerpieces of the "YA fiction being too dark" debate.  And the paperback was $6.00 with no kindle edition available.

It has pictures and diagrams.  Also, since I hope it will be funny, it seems like the kind of book I might want to share.  That's tougher to do with a kindle.

Costco.

Again, no kindle addition.  You couldn't even buy this book for a long time because it was out of print.  And yes, Brand is kind of one note, but I really like that note.
(What!  They added a kindle edition?!?!  Damn it!!  uh... it has pictures too.  That's my new justification.)


Playing for Keeps - David Halberstam
I stole that from my dad.  So, if you hear he's looking for it, let him know it's safe.


Again, this is not a knock on the kindle.  
But our society has not gone paperless yet.


Linkage:


Slate Audio Book Club
A Visit From the Goon Squad
One day, I'll get to it.

1 comment:

  1. I just can't go there yet. Need pages in my hand. Visiting the library more now and buying less. LOVE Sherman Alexie. Did you ever see Smoke Signals? I also read Indian Killer. BTW - He's going to be reading poetry at the Ballard Library on 10/1. Team meeting?

    ReplyDelete